Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:32:25 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-print@bostonradio.org, Morgan Davis <mdavis@cts.com>
Subject:   Re: Patch: new options for lpd, improved msgs for connect-errs

At 8:27 PM -0600 6/15/01, Warner Losh wrote:
>  Garance A Drosihn writes:
>:     Back in July 1997, revision 1.6 (imp) of lpd dropped the check
>: which required that incoming connections be coming from a reserved
>: port.  It looks like this was mistakenly copied from openbsd's lpd
>: (I intend to check further).  In at least my (RPI) environment,
>: that check really needs to be there.
>
>Yes.  This check should be there.  It was a mistake on my part to
>have removed it.  I do understand why some folks need it, and why
>some folks don't want it.

Well, to me the interesting thing is that you DID copy this change
from openbsd, so I also want to figure out why openbsd dropped the
check.  Their cvslog entry implies that it was getting checked
"elsewhere", but I suspect that the change in openbsd was also a
mistake (I think the patch deleted more than it really wanted to).
So, I want to check how openbsd's lpd behaves when I get home, and
then maybe drop Theo a line.