Date:      08 Jul 2000 03:29:41 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sendmail queues but not sending

Not sure if this is strictly 4.0 related but since the location of
sendmail.cf was `secretly'  : )  moved to /etc/mail  I thought it
might be.

I've redone a *.mc file in accord with the information at
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#UUCPMAIL

To relay through my ISP and masquerade the domain of my ISP mail machine.

This all seem to be working OK, but the part of restarting sendmail
isn't really explained and being from a linux background I'm not sure
of how this is done.

Calling `kill -HUP on /var/run/sendmail.pid|awk 'NR == 1' seems to do
it.

But then sending a messages and watching `tail -f /var/log/all.log' I
see the messages is queued but not sent.  It sets in que but doesn't
get sent out.

The stock flag set in /etc/defaults/rc.conf is

`/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m'  Which looks like it tells sendmail to
check the queue ever 30 minutes.  Seems kind of lengthy,  but is there
a better way to have mail sent immediately than changing that flag to
`-q1s'  (check queue ever second)?