Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:31:30 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware notes (mobo recommendations?)

> From: Jud <jud@operamail.com>
> To: questions@freebsd.org
> Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 23:01:20 -0500
> Subject: Re: hardware notes (mobo recommendations?)
>
> 3/3/2002 12:15:29 PM, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >> I recently bought an ASUS A7V-266E mobo (KT266A chipset) for less
> >> than $160 that works beautifully with FBSD.  It also has an
> >> on-board Promise RAID chip that I believe is the same as the one in
> >> the Fasttrak 100, which FBSD supports.
> >
> >    Hm, I've seen more than one report of problems with the south
> >    bridge. What version of FreeBSD do you use on that machine? Do
> >    you run X? What about the onboard audio? Do you actually use the
> >    onboard RAID? "works beautifully" is a bit vague.
>
> Operamail, which has been going through a vendor change this
> weekend, just sent me your message - after the one in which you said
> you'd already bought another mobo.  Much luck with your new
> purchase.  :)

    Erm, I said I *would* buy another board; a decision I've drawn back
    ITM, going for A7V266E, XP 1500+, and 256MB of PC2100 DDR. I'll
    prolly ruin myself, but wtf. :)

> The answers to your questions:
>
> I get the impression there may be different southbridge chipsets on
> different KT266A mobos.  Anyway, the southbridge on the A7V266-E is
> the VIA VT8233.
>
> FreeBSD version - I track 4.5-stable.  Last cvsup and "make world"
> was last night.
>
> X - Latest available port, usually.  ATM I'm running XFree 4.1.12,1
> (or something like that).

    This is info I wanted to get. :)

> Audio - I liked my old SB16 PCI's sound slightly better than the
> onboard when I tried it with Win2K, and the SB sounds lovely with
> FBSD, so I've never listened to the onboard sound with FBSD.

    Hmmm... I'd definitely prefer it to work, but won't pull my hair if
    it doesn't play.

> Onboard RAID - Don't use it just yet, but it's in my very near future
> (I'd guesstimate within a month).  The last time I priced the Fastrak
> 100 as a standalone it was around $75, so I was very happy with just
> over $150 for the mobo.
>
> "Beautiful" is vague, yes - subjective, too.  So let me say that I've
> experienced no problems or incompatibilities whatever between FreeBSD
> and this mobo in the month or so I've had it.  In terms of raw
> numbers, with an AMD XP1800+ and a single ATA66 HD, last night's "make
> world" clocked in at just over 22 minutes.  Beautiful, no?  ;-)

    Yup, that's nice. Much nicer would be "I use this and that software,
    and it works fine". :)
    You know, I have a *Tomato* (i815) board in this box @work, and it
    works. If it weren't for the hell of a time I had trying to get X to
    run, if I hadn't try the onboard sound (all I can hear is
    "whispering"), if I hadn't used a USB mouse (random reboots), I
    would say that this mobo works beautifully with FreeBSD. Bold
    statement, but doesn't say much. It just says "I haven't encountered
    any problems", but without knowing how you use the box...

    But hey, if I encounter any problems with that A7V266E, there's
    still Linux, no? (j/k)

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
2:19PM up 5 days, 15:26, 8 users, load averages: 0.06, 0.08, 0.03