Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:52:43 +0000
From:      Dom <misc-freebsd@talk2dom.com>
To:        soralx@cydem.org
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Issues with GTX960 on CentOS7 using bhyve PCI passthru (FreeBSD 11-RC2)

On 11/01/2017 02:01, soralx@cydem.org wrote:
> Dom wote:
>> There doesn't seem to be support for CPUID 0x40000001 in bhyve either.
> What is it supposed to do?

As far as I can tell it's the Hypervisor extension flags list. The lack
of these extensions/optimisations might explain why your FreeBSD VM runs
slow but their presence also causes the nVidia driver to refuse to run.
(Can't remember where I read this, sorry)

With your change to PCI_EMUL_MEMBASE64 I can boot a CentOS VM without
the "pci=nocrs" kernel option and nVidia card is assigned BARs without
issue.

However, even with reapplying the changes to vmm.ko to hide/remove the
0x40000000 CPUID support and CPUID2_HV, I still have the same
"RmInitAdapter failed" issue.

Allegedly[0] nVidia VM checking came in with driver version 337.88, with
more checking after version 344.11. I couldn't install version 319 as it
failed to build the Linux kernel module. I currently have 370.28
installed which supports both my GT610 and my GTX960.

Maybe the next thing for me to try is to replicate your tests with a
FreeBSD VM.

[0] https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2266916     search for
"337.88"