Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:47:16 +0200
From:      Ian FREISLICH <ianf@clue.co.za>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: panic in netisr (I think) + DUMP FAILED (ERROR 6)

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:47:05AM +0200, Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> > Do you have any idea why kernel dumps are not working as shown in
> > the OP?
> >
> There was a message, "Attempt to write outside dump device boundaries.",
> that explains that.  Search the mailing list archives where I explained
> the underlying bug with current versions of FreeBSD (in short page maps
> get updated while we're writing a dump, due to interrupts still enabled).

And then, this bug is probably why my dumps have been unusable since
about 12 months now?  These (2) servers have a continuous interrupt
rate in excess of 40k/s, network related, so interrupts during
dumping are highly likely.  Reading that thread I'm given to believe
that the problem exists only for mini-dumps.  I've had crashes
without cores with (and without) mini-dumps enabled, but I've only
recently started capturing console output, so I'll see what happens
on its next crash.  They reliably crash at least once a week.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich