Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:34:56 -0700
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Flooded with emails to root -- URGG

Hi

I am running postfix.

Am receiving a flood of  emails that appear to emanate from Servers who have
received spam that has masqueraded root@mydomain as the email source.

Could anyone please suggest the best way of dealing with these. Please bear in
mind I am not all that familiar with postfix so if anyone feels treating me
like an idiot and spoonfeeding the actual command s to use I would be most
appreciative <chuckles>

I have just installed procmail but not yet activated it. (Incidentally I do
have a number of virtual domains but the only one that seems to get flooded
is the primary hostname.

There have also been numerous failed hacking attempts on to the system but as
they keep trying to get in using services that are not actually running they
have got nowhere (so far!!)

david