Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:19:01 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
Cc:        Nick Evans <nevans@nextvenue.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape navigator 4.74 and 4.1-Release

On Wednesday,  2 August 2000 at 15:00:14 -0500, Roger P. Johnson wrote:
>> Has anyone had problems installing navigator 4.74 on freshly installed
>> 4.1-Release systems? I downloaded the freebsd native tar.gz directly from
>> netscape and keep getting:
>>
>> ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libXt.so.6.0"

You have installed X, right?

Check whether the file exists.  It should be in
/usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libXt.so.6.0.  If it isn't, you should be able to
find it on the distribution somewhere.

> I've experience a similar error but it wasn't with Netscape. In my case
> the number of open files was too small for the number of users using
> the machine. Check /var/log/messages. That's what tipped it off for me.

I don't know what you find similar about your error.  This message is
telling you that it can't find a file, not that there were too many
open files (which is what I presume you mean).

Greg