Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 01:29:26 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd permission denied at bootup

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:22:48PM -0700, Chip wrote:

[snip]

> natd: failed to write packet back (permission denied)
> routed: send bcast sendto(xl0): permission denied
> starting final network daemons: firewall, routed: sendto(dc0): permission
> denied.

This sure looks like your firewall not passing packets. And we can fix
the routed(8) problem easily. You don't need it, turn it off.

> Any ideas what's going one here? I have verified all the files with the
> existing firewall box and it's been working fine for a couple years.

Have you done a,

  # ipfw show

Once the box is up and running to make sure the firewall rules,

> I have also replaced rc.firewall with a differant one that has only -
> /sbin/ipfw -f flush
> /sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via dc0
> /sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any
> And I get the same error messages.

Are really there?

> It appears to be a route problem, but netstat does show a default route (see
> below).
>
> I am at a total loss for a solution here.

[snip]

> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Tue Sep 25 22:38:43 2001
> # Created: Tue Sep 25 22:38:43 2001
> # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
> # Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> network_interfaces="xl0 dc0 lo0"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
> firewall_type="open"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="dc0"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
> router_enable="YES"

Drop this.

> defaultrouter="66.114.152.1"
> hostname="firewall.wiegand.org"
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_dc0="inet 66.114.152.128 netmask 255.255.248.0"
> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_port="/dev/cuaa1"
> moused_type="mouseman"
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> sshd_enable="YES"

Again, doublecheck the firewall rules are actually being loaded. If
they are, something really strange is going on.
                                         cjclark@jhu.edu
                                         cjc@freebsd.org