Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 10:42:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LKM conversions (was: your mail)

On Thursday,  8 October 1998 at 11:05:22 +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:
>
>> I meant, how does it _look_, because it seems to work just fine, despite
>> lower-level kldload things not working. such as, green_Saver kldloading
>> will cause a trap 12 in IP 0xf012929d, lookup_symbol I believe. No working
>> panics, so no good debugging :( Lemme guess, you can't panic on a DDB
>> trap?
>
> Most of the LKMs have not been converted to the new style.  I believe that
> Peter Wemm is working on this right now.  You might like to drop him a
> line.

Vinum has not been (and will not be by 15 October) converted.  There
are several reasons for this:

1.  The Vinum LKM was committed two minutes before a deadline on 15
    September.

2.  At this point, there had been no mention that LKMs were not
    supported in 3.0, nor that the kernel would be ELF.

3.  At this point, no LKMs had been converted to KLDs.

4.  The current ELF kernel doesn't support ddb, so it's impractical to
    develop code on this platform.

Greg