Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:40:22 -0500
From:      Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        Steve Roome <steve@pepcross.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: 6.0-current panic: loading radeon module

--------------enig1AC07163AFD01155A2DF6707

On 6/17/2005 12:18 PM, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> Steve Roome wrote on Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 05:03:32PM +0100:
>>If it's any iterest, I had a similar experience earlier this week.
>>
>>xorg-server-6.8.99.5 with a radeon 9600 X and -current as of Monday
>>causes my entire machine to freeze up completely rather than just
>>panic.
>>
>>It's fine if I take drm option out of the x config again - so it's
>>only when I actually use DRM, and for me it's a black screen and hard
>>lockup.
>
> This is odd.  DRI (and hence DRM) only support radeons up to 9200
> (really 9250 probably).  Your 9600 series shouldn't have a need for
> the drm module in first place.

The r300 project (http://r300.sourceforge.net) is getting tantalizingly
close to usable DRI for newer radeons.  I saw glxgears running at 2600+
fps for about 15 seconds before the 3D engine on my 9800 Pro locked up.
  I finally got tired of manually merging Mesa commits and translating
linux drm changes to bsd so I'm no longer using it.  If you're
interested, here's the basic instructions:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2005-May/001903.html

Note that it requires a decent amount of effort just to get it to
compile, much less do anything useful.  Abandon hope, all ye who enter
here...

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr@alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195