Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 22:08:41 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CD-ROMs on VMware

I was trying to install FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE onto a virtual PC using VMware
Workstation 3.0 Beta build-1394.  (The time-limited beta can be downloaded
free or charge from the VMware web site.)  Things work pretty well until
it's time to mount the CD-ROM.  The command "mount /cdrom" produces the
following fault in FreeBSD:

----- start of fault message -----
fault virtual address   = 0xc0daf000
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc02fd92e
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc6192bf8
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc6192c08
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process         = 256 (sysinstall)
interrupt mask          = bio
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38 38
giving up on 38 buffers
Uptime: 3m27s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
----- end of fault message -----

On the VMware's web site, there is a paragraph that states:

Note: With all versions of FreeBSD is that there is a problem probing for
the CD-ROM device wdc1. FreeBSD sends an illegal ATAPI command to the IDE
controller and ignores the error status reply. This results in
approximately a one-minute delay each time the system boots.
[http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws30_guestos26.html#1016398]

Is this legitimately a problem with FreeBSD's CD-ROM driver?  And is it
causing the panic I noted above?  I don't have this problem installing
directly on my hardware, but I'm interesting in getting beyond this problem
if possible.  As always, any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Please CC me on replies since I do not subscribe.

--Chip Morton