Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 18:03:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another 2.1.7 upgrade & no bin dist

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Don Yuniskis wrote:

> It seems that Barry Masterson said:
> >
> > I just finished another CDROM upgrade. I suppose it would be
> > 2.1.7 -> 2.1.7 this time, except that the bin distribution still
> > could not be installed. The message at the end was the same as
> > last week:

> >    We couldn't even extract the bin distribution. This upgrade
> >    should be considered a failure and started from the beginning.
> >

> I've encountered the same set of problems trying a virgin install
> from the 2.1.7 CD-ROM.

So, I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Thought it was
just me and my generic mix-n-match system.

> > The actual steps I went through are listed at the end, but more
> > interesting are the DEBUG messages from VTY2. Below are the last
> > few lines from VTY2, the buffer only goes back so far. I copied
> > these by hand and believe they are accurate:

I'll add to this with; is the output from VTY2 saved in any file,
possibly in one of the tmp or share files? There might be valuable
DEBUG data listed that is long lost in the buffers. I looked around
the system before rebooting, but found nothing.

I can say that a few files in /bin & /sbin did get updated:

  /bin     rcp, red, ed
  /sbin    nfsd, mount_nfs, init

They have dates of Feb 19th, close enough to the CD dates of Feb 18th
to indicate to me that between last week and this week those few
files were updated. (compared to the Nov 24th dates from 2.1.6)

> >   DEBUG: distExtract: parent: (none), me: bin
> >   DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.inf from CDROM
> >   DEBUG: Parsing attributes file for distribution bin
> >   DEBUG: Parse config: Invalid character 'P' at line 0
> >   DEBUG: Finished parsing 0 attributes
> >   DEBUG: Trying to match attribute `pieces'
> >   DEBUG: Request for catpages/catpages.inf from CDROM
> >   DEBUG: Request for catpages/catpages.tgz from CDROM
> >   DEBUG: switching back to VTY1
>
> Same here.  I've been too busy to track this down since then.  Also,
> can someone clarify whether the vty which is selected by ALT-F1 is
> VTY1 (as the debug messages indicate) *or* vty0???  I've pointed
> this out in previous releases and never got a definitive answer...
>

> --don

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com

  FreeBSD   2.1.7-R