Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 08:59:53 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.lashley.slip.netcom.com
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, phk@ref.tfs.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removeable media support

|>  > Besides MO technology, Iomega's recently announced new drives (i think
|>  > the call'em ``zipdrives'') come to mind.  They provide 100 MB at a
|>  > reasonable price for the drive (much less than an 128 MB MO drive),
|>  > and with comparable medium costs.
|>
|>  I'm very interested in this drive, if anybody has any experience ?

I don't have any experience with those, but I do have some with
Syquest drives.  They make 3.5" 270Mb removable cartridge drives
in both SCSI and IDE configurations.  (And an 'external IDE' that
connects to the parallel port.)  They also make 200Mb cartridge
drives in a 5.25" cartridge.

The 3.5" drives run US$370-500, depending on the configuration and
where you buy them; and the cartridges run about $70 each.  The
270Mb drives will also read and write the older 105Mb cartridges.

The cartridges have a 5 year warrantee.

Syquest has been making removable cartridge drives for about 12
years now.  (I worked at a startup that was one of their beta
sites back in the 5Mb days...)

-Pat