Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:49:08 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        seafug@dub.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding another hd and can't mount it

On Wednesday,  2 February 2000 at 18:02:36 -0800, Chip wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Tuesday,  1 February 2000 at 23:36:20 -0800, Chip wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I just installed a 2nd hd and ran sysinstall, got it partitioned and
>>> the file system set up properly. When I try to mount it (as root)I
>>> get the following message:
>>> chip# mount /dev/wdc3 /home/2nddrive
>>> mount: No such file or directory                (** yes there is **)
>>
>> No, there isn't.  The disk name is invalid.  I'm sure that 'ls -l
>> /dev/wdc3' will tell you that it doesn't exist.
>> <snip>
>>> So then I try it a little differantly:
>>> chip# mount /dev/wd3 /home/2nddrive
>>> mount: /dev/wd3 on /usr/home/2nddrive: incorrect super block
>>
>> This message is correct:
>>
>>> 8 partitions:
>>> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>>>   a:  3715136   409600    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.   25*- 256*)
>>>   b:   409600        0      swap                        # (Cyl.    0 - 25*)
>>>   c:  4124736        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 256*)
>>
>> /dev/wd3 is effectively /dev/wd3s0c, which is not a file system.  It
>> starts at the same place as the swap, so you were effectively trying
>> to mount your swap partition.  You have your file system on partition
>> a, so you should be saying
>>
>>  # mount /dev/wd3a /data
>>
>> (I've deliberately not written /home/2nddrive, because it's not a good
>> idea to mount disks that far down).
>
> Thankyou, Greg, once again.
> Now it works fine, I even got it in my fstab and an icon for mount/umount on
> the desktop.

What do you need that for?

> Now to figure out the same for my winblows drive. :-)

Modify this /etc/fstab line to suit your Microsoft drive:

/dev/wd0s2c             /C:             msdos   ro              0       0

> You mention that it is not a good idea to not mount disks down the
> directory tree, such as /mnt/whatever, but rather to just mount it
> to a directory on the top level. Why difference would it make?

It's marginally faster to access (otherwise every access performs a
couple of additional I/Os).  But the real reason is that if, for
whatever reason, your first drive is down, you can't access the second
one either.

> Isn't that what the mnt directory is for?

It's for one drive.  If you want to mount any more, and you can't
think of a more imaginative name, use /mnt2, /mnt2, etc.  Anyway, even
if you created subdirectories, they'd still me on the root file
system.  Yours is on /usr, and it's accessed via a symlink.

Greg