Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:27:49 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is Copyrighted but where is the license

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 12:12:55PM +0100, Micke Josefsson wrote:
> This may sound like a silly question and perhaps it is, but:
>
> Do we have a FreeBSD LICENSE? There is a COPYRIGHT, but is there a LICENSE
> somewhere? Are the two the same?

If you compare some LICENSE files with the COPYRIGHT you see that
it's like this:

+----------------------------------------------------
| copyright issue
|
| redistribution and use rules

So in this case, yeah they're the same file with a different name.

Keep in mind that you're only talking about the filenames, not
about the contents.

> I am not allowed to use programs without having a license for it. Does that mean
> that FreeBSD is out of the question?

Do you explicite need a written license (i.e. written on paper) or
is an electronic license also good? In that case, have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/copyright.html and
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl |                     http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/