Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:19:47 -0400
From:      Timothy Luoma <freebsd@tntluoma.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Got 4.8-REL installed... Now what?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:38:29 +0100, Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> As a desktop user, you will need to install some sort of working
> environment, plus any specific applications that you need.
>
> By "working environment" I mean essentially an X window manager and
> any supporting infrastructure that it requires.  This can vary from
> the minimal (fluxbox, fvwm) to the gargantuan (kde, gnome).  See
> http://www.xwinman.org/ for the definitive guide to X window managers.
> Personally I like WindowMaker, a nice middleweight WM with a very
> NeXT-like look'n'feel.

As a former NeXT'er myself, that will probably be the one I start with.

> However, in order to install any of these software packages, the first
> thing you will need is an understanding of the ports system and an
> up-to-date ports tree.  Read the OnLamp articles by Dru Levign for the
> former:
>
>     http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/07/FreeBSD_Basics.html
>     http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html
>     http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/09/18/FreeBSD_Basics.html

thanks!  more bed-time reading.  (I brought _The Complete FreeBSD
handbook_ with me on vacation several years ago, even without a computer
with me.  Yeah, my wife thinks I'm strange too.)

> and a quick perusal of the sample supfiles in
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup will pay dividends.

Many thanks to you & the others who replied.

TjL

--
Running 4.8-RELEASE on a Dell Inspiron 7500 Laptop
Dual Boot Windows XP using GAG