Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:37:40 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF rtld and environment variables...

Mike Smith wrote:
> gzipped binaries are actually a terrible idea; they actually *waste*
> space in most cases.

Suprising,  They saved space for a 200M disc in a 486 laptop with 3.[2,3,or4],
it was so tight for space I gzipped everything, (entire output of src/ except
kernel), to save space to then install X/ or something else big.
That laptop has now gone to 4.0, & aout to elf, & a 1.5G disc, so no incentive
to do it all again to see how much FreeBSD-4 gzipped aout binary tree might
save/waste on a whole tree.  BTW I was `strip'ing everything, did not use
more than standard optimiser, & didnt compile with -g.
Script I used is on http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/bin/.csh/gzip_bins

Julian
-
Julian Stacey	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
 Kostenlos: FreeBSD 3200 packages, sources, Netscape, WordPerfect & StarWriter.
Anti Software Patent Petition to Euro Parliament: http://petition.eurolinux.org