Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:48:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA oddness

Hopefully sos reads this list?

Following up my own note - I see the following in the code, none of which
came out in my verbose dmesg:

            if (bootverbose)
                ata_printf(scp, device, "%s setting UDMA2 on Cyrix chip\n",
                           (error) ? "failed" : "success");
             if (bootverbose)
                ata_printf(scp, device, "%s setting WDMA2 on Cyrix chip\n",
                           (error) ? "failed" : "success");
        if (bootverbose)
            ata_printf(scp, device, "%s setting %s on Cyrix chip\n",
                       (error) ? "failed" : "success",
                       ata_mode2str(ata_pio2mode(apiomode)));

That implies that either:
1. the device type didn't get preserved between the initial probe where
it shows up, and the drive probes where the device type is apparently missed.

2. ata_dmainit() didn't get called at all, or the 3 integer args were
not the same as those printed in the verbose output...

AFAIK this drive is only a udma2 device but may be 4; the controller
is certainly only udma2.

-- Pete