Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:22:33 -0600
From:      Bruce Meehl <bruce@fixer.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CDROM doesn't work

I just purchased FreeBSD 2.2.6.  I am running it on a Pentium P5T30-B4
mainboard with a 233MHZ CPU, with 2.5 gig IDE hard drive and Sony CDROM
that uses the scd0 driver. I can't figure it out, but the CDROM does not
work with this version. It has worked flawlessly on every FreeBSD
release prior to this. In fact, just to be sure I reinstalled version
2.2.5 and sure enough it works there (the CDROM isn't broke).

I am not new to FreeBSD. This is the 5th version of this product I have
purchased. I have been using FreeBSD for 2.5 years. When I bought my
first version (2.1.0) I found out my IDE CDROM was not compatible so I
bought the Sony CDROM to run FreeBSD.

When you boot off the install floppy with -c, it takes you to the
configuration menu. I did ls

and it returned the exact same thing that my 2.2.5 version did at this
point. (2.2.5 works)

If I install off a DOS partition (I only have 30Mgs of freespace on C:,
FreeBSD doesn't see my other partitions), I can get a minimal
installation to get it running. It does find the CDROM most of the time
in the boot messages (but not always). Even when it does say the CDROM
is found, on /stand/sysinstall it always says that the FreeBSD CDROM
looks more like an audio CD and the installation stops there. If I try
to mount the CDROM with 'mount /cdrom' it returns 'invalid argument'

Using DOS partitions for FreeBSD is like going back in time a hundred
years, and because of my limited space on my hard drive, I'm wondering
if this is giving me more trouble (is something coming of the hard drive
 different than the CDROM?). I don't know.

Anyhow, thanks in advance, if someone there has any ideas on what might
be wrong, I would sure appreciate.

Thanks,
Bruce Meehl