Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 11:18:38 +0100
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.2 to 4.3 -- ed1 NIC problems

I have a Sony FX101 laptop running FreeBSD. I installed 4.2-RELEASE from
CD-ROM. I've gotten cvsup working and grabbed the src/docs trees for
4.3-RELEASE. I rebuilt the kernel/modules and booted the new kernel. It
comes up properly as "4.3 RELEASE #3" and I can run X and KDE just like before.

I'm having some problems with my PCMCIA network card -- a SMC NE2000 clone.
It's recognized just fine by usbd and is correctly identified and assigned
to ed1. After inserting the card, I run a simple (3 line) shell script to
ifconfig it, bring it up and set the route for my network:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig ed1 inet 192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default 192.168.0.1

It worked just fine under 4.2-RELEASE, but under 4.3-RELEASE I can get out
to hosts on my local network, but it can't find the gateway (nor can other
hosts find it). If I boot using kernel.old (4.2-RELEASE), it works just
fine again.

Do I need to change my simple script or change some setting somewhere? Any
ideas? Thanks!

--
"When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there
is in London all that life can afford." -- Samuel Johnson