Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:27:19 -0700
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        mpd@rochester.rr.com
Cc:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hostname problem, apparently only in X

mpd <mpd@rochester.rr.com> wrote on 04/23/2002 04:07:26 PM:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 03:53:54PM -0700, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
> > I seem to be seeing some new errors I haven't seen in other installs.
This
> > time its in a
> > term window in X. When I try to run cvsup cvsupfile I get the
following
> > message -
> >
> > Cannot get IP address of my own host - - is it's host name correct?
> >
> > I don't get this when I run from the console, only when in X. Maybe
this
> > is related to a
> > problem with X itself? When I shutdown X the messages on the console
show
> > -
> >
> > waiting for xserver to shut down
> > xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "cwiegand2:0" in "remove" command
> >
> > when I enter hostname at the console I get
> > cwiegand2
> >
> > Any idea what I should do about this?
>
> Is that the *real* hostname (i.e. is cwiegand2 returned when you
> do an nslookup on your IP?) or just some name you gave it?

When I do nslookup with my ipaddress I get
Can't find server name for address 157.237.xx.xxx: nonexistant host/domain
Server: Cache02.ns.uu.net
Address: 198.x.x.x
Cache02.ns.uu.net can't find 157.237.65.118: nonexistant host/domain

We have a dhcp server, NT, ip 157.237.xx.xxx. My freebsd box gets it's
info from that dhcp server.

--
Chip