Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 13:53:20 -0400
From:      "B. Cook" <bcook@poklib.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is 4.3-stable broke on Alpha?!

Please excuse my brevity from before.. as I was unsure if the message
would go through or if it would even be read.

I have 164LX board with a 533MHz cpu 256MB.  Two IDE drives (dqa0 is a
2gb and dqa1 is an 8gb) an adaptec 2940 with an hp cdrw attached at dqa6.

I've been running fbsd on this box since 4.0 came out, and the last time
I saw this happen was when 4.1.1 came out.

I've recently (yesterday) installed 4.3 (-release) from a CD.  I've
since rebuilt the kernel (-release) added ipfilter and some other things
that I need.  Rebooted the box, and the new kernel with ipfilter enabled
was working.  I then cvsup'd to -stable from (first) my own local cvsup
server (from which I cvsup the 10+ other boxes all x86 though) and did
the buildworld/kernel/installworld/mergemaster 'thing'

upon doing a mergemaster it did complain that the file that I wanted to
replace (i.e. MAKEDEV and all other 'Install' files) could not be
replaced and would have to be merged by hand.  After mergemaster was
finished I checked in /var/tmp/temproot for the files that it said it
could not install - only to find out that they had been.  It also saw
that I had replaced my current /dev/MAKEDEV and asked if I wanted to run
cd /dev && /bin/sh MAKEDEV all .. which since I knew it should have been
replaced; but the error said it wasn't.. I ran it.

next cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
make clean && make && make install
then I rebooted to this:

CPU 0 booting
Resetting I/O Busses..
(boot dqa1.1.0.11.0 -flags a)
block 0 of dqa1.1.0.11.0 is a valid boot block
reading 15 blocks from dqa1.1.0.11.0
bootstrap code read in
base = 20000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1e00
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at fff0000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code
Can't open /boot/loader
halted CPU 0

upon issuing a boot dqa1 the same thing happens, and boot dqa0 does what
it should nothing ;)

(I've been running -stable since it came out and I've not had a problem)

I welcome any help or questions, and appreicate any time that anyone can
spend on this.

Brian