Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:17:01 -0700
From:      Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall rules causing SSH disconects?

At 10:53 PM 4/10/2001 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
>What is the length of time involved?

>You say you have replicated the problem from both W2K and Solaris
>clients but I'm still curious as to what is between those systems and
>your FreeBSD system. Guessing the FreeBSD system is at home on DSL or
>cable modem? A number of ISPs have what are supposed to be transparent
>caches between their users and the internet. Sometimes they really are
>transparent. Sometimes not. A friend had a heck of a time with ftp and
>ssh into his home computer on @home, then magically one day the
>problems disappeared.

I'm not exactly sure of the time length involved before the disconnects,
because it seems to happen mainly when there's a time period of idleness..
What will happen is that the connection will sit there for a bit, then if I
then type a character or two (like the letter L is "ls"), it will show the
"l" but then disconnect me.  I have no way to knowing how much time has
elapsed unfortunately.

I thought it might have been auto-logging me out, so to be sure, I set the
TMOUT in bash to be 3600 seconds... so I've eliminated that as a possibility.

My FreeBSD box and Win2k computer are both on DSL with external
IPs.  Therefore it's only 2 hops between the Win2k and the FreeBSD box (one
hop to my router, 209.53.60.254, and the other back to the freebsd
box).  The 2 machines are in the same household.

The Solaris box is at my university and about 9 hops away but presumably
uses the same router.

I'm just thinking it's my FreeBSD box somehow in the
setup/configuration.  The first thing is I'm able to connect remotely via
SSH and the connection constantly dies... if I have more than one
connection open, they all die.  Second is that at times I'm getting the
"sshd: Write Failed: Permission Denied" error, which is indicating
something wrong on my end.  However, it's not firewall related since I'm
running an open ruleset.

Regards,
Trevin Chow