Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:19:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 14467 for review

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/chv.cgi?CH=14467
> >
> > Change 14467 by rwatson@rwatson_paprika on 2002/07/19 08:13:14
> >
> > 	New entry point 'mpo_create_extattr_from_vnode' to support
> > 	the association of extended attribute backed MAC labels with a
> > 	vnode on creation if the vnode is created on a generic
> > 	EA-supporting file system with MAC/MULTILABEL enabled.  This
> > 	call provides access to the vnode, and if the entry point fails,
> > 	then the creation operation will be aborted by the file system.
> >
> > 	TODO: mac_update_extattr_from_vnode() in a way that doesn't
> > 	have race conditions and consistency problems.  That's actually
> > 	quite hard.
>
> Err... I don't like this name.  It goes against the current convention
> (which is de facto, I admit), so I think if we're running out of proper
> ways to classify these operations into higher level sets we should
> discuss extending the convention and renaming to support that.  If you
> want to start merging it into the main tree I think it would probably be
> a good idea if we discussed the naming before that, you know?  I don't
> think this fits in any of the current sets of operations, just like
> mac_externalize() et al :)

Yeah, I agree, and had the same concerns, but figured we could rename it
once we figured out what the other related calls would be called.  I'm
actually tempted to name these based on the fact that they have to do with
the _std_foo_ea calls.  I.e., make them be named mpo_stdcreate_ea(),
mpo_stdupdate_ea(), etc.  Thoughts?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories