Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:35:29 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Stephen Hocking <shocking@houston.rr.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenGL with hardware acceleration

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 09:00:05AM -0600, Stephen Hocking wrote:
> I'm getting good results with a G400 (although the driver still has some
> bugs). Down load the XFrRee 4.01 sources, and you'll have to make a mod to a
> few files to make sure that a) the mga subdirectory is compiled in
> programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/kernel and tweak a couple of the
> files to make sure that SYSCTL_ARGS is always wrapped in (). This is just from
> memory mind you!

Well, thanks a lot Stephen!! Finally I managed to make everything compile,
using previous posts to the -multimedia list as well. Everything looks very
nice now, agp0, drm0 in dmesg and the XFree86 logfile seems OK as well.
(on http://wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl/freebsd/hwaccel.txt I've put a quick &
(very) dirty list of what I've done to make it work, so it'll be easier
for me to repeat everything ;-)

However, when I want to try the direct rendering with glclock, I'm getting a
black window without anything in there :-(. The screen is blocked, but
a remote login shows that glclock is in the state 'mgafg', according to
top. It can be killed easily and the machine is accesible again through
the keyboard.

I have the exact same problem with G200/8 MB and G400/32 MB, although the
G200 has to use much lower resolution in order to have enough memory left
for dri. Both at 16bpp.

Any idea what could be wrong? Would it make sense to cvs DRI sources?
I have those that are included with the standard XFree86-4 in the ports,
they seem to be a little dated (2000-05 or so).
Also, I have my PC quite filled up, with two Voodoo2 boards, still working
fine with linux glide (so completely bypassing DRI). No sharing of IRQ's
with the video card though.

Thanks anyway for the () wrapping tip!

Karel.