Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:53:13 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        Rico Secada <coolzone@io.dk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is THIS why the 6.2 release seems stalled ?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 01:12:46AM -0600, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 1/10/07, Rico Secada <coolzone@io.dk> wrote:

> >> I don't have time to contribute work, I have a business to manage as
> >> well as other obligations that come first... I need this stuff to just
> >> work... so I can get real things done.
> >
> >So you need people to work freely, without any pay, to make things work
> >for you, so you can complain when something isn't working like you
> >want it to!? So you can get real things done!?
> >
> >If you have a business to manage, and just need this to work, made by
> >people who contribute for free, maybe its time you start to pay someone!?
> >

> Repost:
> I'm more then willing to pay real money to support the sub-projects
> that are of interest to me. I need to see some real progress being
> made in return though. Feel free to start working on any of the
> problems I listed. When you have something to show me I'll send some
> cash. Maybe core needs to make it easier to direct are funds to the
> sub-projects of are choice and still qualify it as a deductible
> expense.

Then maybe you need to spend that money getting something you
need done.   Hire someone or assign one of your better employees
to work part of their time on some aspect that is important to see done.

Some of the people who work on the FreeBSD project may do contract
work, but the project in itself, in general does not do contract work.
It does not work from a list of demands from customers, but from
things that the people who are both using it and working on it take
the time and effort to get done - primarily because they want/need
to have that thing done.

This leave you lots of room to do something positive.

////jerry