Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 22:07:20 +0100
From:      Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   80386 out of GENERIC

Dear/Beste Johnson,

I read this on the advocacy list.

> Support for the 80386 processor has been removed from the GENERIC kernel. The
> default FreeBSD kernel is now more optimized for modern CPUs. No longer do
> you have to settle for performance draining compatibility with hardware you
> haven't owned in a decade.

I don't feel this is a good decision. (I still have a 486, act as a
small server and a 286 witch is in storage) This basally means that
any one who doesn't have the latest processor can't install FreeBSD.
(I could be wrong) Having a option during the installation to use
GENERIC or PENTIUM (IV) would be far better. A option to
enable/disable hardware compile one own kernel would be great to. I
never owned any SCSI devices in a decade.

--
Best regards/Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex