Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:54:29 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: find -lname and -ilname implemented

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:28:44 -0800 Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
> It's been in my tradition for Unix developement since 1986 when I
> first joined comp.unix

It has happened. But from my perspective, what happened going from v6
to v7 tends to be the rule, and your tradition is the exception.

> If you saw what Warner and others have to do to in battling the Linux
> hordes, you'd also be looking to remove all the trivial complaints
> that are made as excuses to not use BSD.

No, I wouldn't. You're assuming that popularity is inherently a good
thing, which is a common misconception I don't share. More accurately,
I don't believe that popularity is in and of itself a good thing, to
be catered to at all costs. Makes me wonder if there's a connection
between GNU distros treating their users like idiots and those same
users not being able to see beyond the trivialities.

> I think that we have to make a conscious decision as a project to
> acknowledge the position we find ourselves in WRT 3rd party software
> and make moves to lower the barriers to entry as much as we can.

Um, if FreeBSD has to become GNU in order to win GNU users, what's the
point? Skip the pain, switch to GNU, and get the popularity you want
and the platform you deserve with no delay.

Of course, since GNU is well on the way to becoming Windows in order
to get people to switch to GNU from Windows, maybe we should just skip
a step and start catering to Windows users? After all, there are an
order of magnitude more of them...

   <mike