Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 21:52:00 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Async Serial Sniffer/Analyzer?

Thomas David Rivers writes:

> > Am in need of a tool to capture and display hex and ASCII a small (100
> > to 300 bytes at a time) amount of data off a 300 baud async serial line,
> > 8 bits, 1 start, 1 stop. Would also be nice if it monitored and logged
> > transitions of the handshake lines.
> >
> > While such a minimal tool as I'm in need of should be easy to write I
> > don't have a day or so to do it. A pass thru /usr/ports failed to turn
> > one up.
> >
> > FreeBSD, Mac, and even Windows solutions are acceptable.
> >

>  If it's just a regular 232 line - you could simply
>
> 	cat /dev/cuaXX | tee <someplace> | od -x
>
>  The <someplace> could even be a named pipe in the file system, so that,
>  in another "window" (or vtty) you could also be doing:
>
> 	cat <someplace> | whatever-program-it-needs-to-go-to
>

>  And - instead of "od -x", you could use something else that actually
>  understood the bits & did the monitoring and logging you ask for
>  (say, a small C program you wrote yourself.)
>
>  Part of the the original UNIX philosophy - small tools that you can
 "hook together" yourself to accomplish big tasks.  It's a very powerful
>  problem solving approach.

Just recently discovered I have had a headache most of the afternoon
and evening so things aren't quite happening the way I'd expect.

Had considered reading the serial port into od or hd or similar but
discounted that solution as many "packets" are less than 16 bytes or so
needed to complete an output line and see what is happening.

And somehow (brain fart?) I made a pass thru /usr/ports/ and completely
missed:

Port:   snooper-980813
Info:   serial line protocol analyzer (need two serial interfaces)
Maint:  itojun@itojun.org
Index:  comms
B-deps:
R-deps:

...which appears to be exactly what I was hoping to find.