Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:17:01 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to stop buildling named (and friends) by default in 6-current?

Scott Long wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:

>> If we are going to do this, then why not just have users install bind
>> from ports and only install the client as part of the base system?
>> This is what we do with DHCP for example.  Basically, if it's going to
>> be an optional component, I think it belongs in ports, not the /usr/src.
>>

> I agree here, though maybe the argument is moot now that Doug imported
> 9.3.1 last night?  Not changing the status quo is ok too.

Scott, did you see my response to John's post? I don't consider any of this
a done deal, but I had to get 9.3.1 in the tree asap in order to try and
make an MFC before 5.4 goes out. If we collectively decide to strip named
and friends out of the base, we can still do that. I know how to remove
files from the vendor branch now. :)

Doug