Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2014 03:27:04 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Christian Baer <cb@icerats.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and gaming keyboards (like k95)

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 03:09:22 +0100, Christian Baer wrote:
> The problem is that the software for these keyboards is typically only for
> Windows and somehow I doubt that Wine will really shine in this respect. I
> would definately not mind booting Windows to program my keyboard, I would
> really like it to work well under FreeBSD too.

That should not be a problem as long as the keys
send individual codes. You can verify this with
the X event tester utility, xev. Adding a key symbol
to a key code is done by xmodmap. The window manager,
desktop environment, or application programs can
then pick up those key symbols and cause the desired
action to happen, either natively through the program
itself, or by using the xbindkeys program to "output"
custom actions (press a key, press a key combination,
press a key sequence, start a program, and so on).

> Meaning:
>
> - The light is usable.

This is probably just a matter of USB power.

> - At least one set of macros works under FreeBSD.

This entirely depends on what the keyboard sends to
the USB interface.

> A friend of mine has the Corsair K95 which I really like because of its build,
> feel and looks. He has the red switched (as a gamer) and I would want the blue
> ones as someone who has used a Model M for years. But I like the macro block
> on the left.

I have something similar on the Sun USB type 7 keyboard
which I have gotten comfortable with, even though I miss
the feel of the model M switches. That's why I'll soon
migrate to a BOSCOM 5250 keyboard with has a 2x5 block
on the left plus 12 additional function keys (2nd row
on top) - best of both worlds. Needless to say, I have
already verified the keyboard in the way mentioned above. :-)

> Does anyone have this particular Keyboard (or any other gaming keyboard that
> fits the profile) running under FreeBSD and would like to share his thoughts?

Don't call my professional programming keybards "gaming
keyboards". :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany