Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 20:34:12 -0500
From:      Paul <webmstr@thsos.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   DNS or Apache?

Hi,

I tried to set up a virtual server using the
name retail.foo.com. I already have a working
server on www.foo.com. The retail version points
to a different directory.
My domain.db looks like this.....

localhost  IN      A               127.0.0.1
;
;
mymachine  IN      A               200.100.100.1
;
router     IN      A               200.100.100.2
           IN      MX              10 mail.mydomain.com.
;
ftp        IN      CNAME           mymachine.mydomain.com.
mail       IN      CNAME           mymachine.mydomain.com.
news       IN      CNAME           mymachine.mydomain.com.
ns         IN      CNAME           mymachine.mydomain.com.
www        IN      CNAME           mymachine.mydomain.com.
retail     IN      CNAME           mymachine.mydomain.com.

retail.mydomain.com resolves to my web server...
my foo.com record looks like this........

@    IN    SOA     foo.com.      hostmaster.foo.com. (
                                        15      ;Serial number
                                        172800  ;Refresh every 2 days
                                        3600    ;Retry every 2 day
                                        1728000 ;Expire every 20 days
                                        172800 )   ;Minimum 2 days
;
           IN      NS              ns.mydomain.com.
           IN      NS              ns2.backup.net.
           IN      MX              5 mail.foo.com.
;
localhost  IN      A               127.0.0.1
www        IN      A               200.100.100.5
retail     IN      A               200.100.100.5
           IN      MX              10 mail.foo.com.
mail       IN      CNAME           mail.mydomain.com.

the virtual hosts in the web server httpd.conf are set up as
one is www.foo.com
the other retail.foo.com
with two different directories specified

I tried using the same Internet address then tried setting up
a different ethernet address in the netstart...
neither way works to resolve to the virtual web server the error
is retail.foo.com  DNS entry not found
I did also include the retail.foo.com in the reverse.db

Can someone let me know what I am doing wrong? Or suggest a better
way for doing... like one that works?

Thanks,

Paul Webmaster@thsos.com