Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:40:23 -0600
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj1066@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make package don't build package

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 04:59 am, Alexandr wrote:
> I run FreeBSD 5.3
> I free my ports tree and make this:
>
> cd /usr/ports/www/audio/mpg123/
> make package
>
> and get:
> ===>  Installing for mpg123-esound-0.59r_15
> ===>   mpg123-esound-0.59r_15 depends on shared library: esd.2 -
> found ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ===>  Checking if audio/mpg123 already installed
> ===>   mpg123-esound-0.59r_15 is already installed
>       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port
> again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of
> audio/mpg123 without deleting it first, set the variable
> "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER" in your environment or the "make install"
> command line. *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/audio/mpg123.
>
> I don't understand, in bsd.port.mk wrote
> # package		- Create a package from an _installed_ port.
> but I  installed this package and wont build package
> Why 'make package' make install ???

Hello Alexandr,

If you did not have mpg123 installed, then "make package" would make
the port, install the port, and build a binary package that would
be put in /usr/ports//packages/All if you have /usr/ports/packages,
other wise it would be put in the port you are building.

You could also do "make -package-recursive", which would build all
the ports that were pulled in by making this port.

If you already have the port installed, then "make package" will
fail at the installation of the port. As your error message above
says, you have to run "make deinstall", then "make reinstall", that
will let you get through the install portion. But, the install
portion of "make package" failed, if you have done this, then you
can run "make package" and a binary package will be made. You can
run "make package-recursive" at that point.

You could also just do pkg_delete -f mpg123-esound-0.59r_15 and
remove the installed package. Then "make package" or "make
package-recursive" would work.

"make package" is just a one step method of doing:
	make
	make install
	make package

I hope that helps a bit.