Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:32:47 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a PC with Windows

--------------enig6E8C2A8B8BE0BAA4623DAD59

David Morton wrote:

> Anyway, I have a laptop preinstalled with Vista Home Premium and I woul=
> like to also run BSD on it.  In reading your installation documentation=
, I
> do not see anything that suggests I can install FreeBSD onto my PC with=
out
> wiping Windows.

There are several ways to do it but they all depend on you
repartitioning your drive to hold an additional primary partition for
FreeBSD. There are several commercial products that can do this reliably
(I've only used Partition Magic) but I don't think there are open-source
or free products with similar reliability.

After you get the primary partition, you can most likely just install
FreeBSD on it and it will "just work", offering you to choose between
the Windows and the FreeBSD systems.