Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:20:31 -0700
From:      "Jordan Shaw" <jshaw@thenewt.com>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Alphastation 600A 5/500 and 5.2.1-rc2

Hi;

I'm trying to get 5.2.1-rc2 booting on my aforementioned Alpha, and I'm running into a very irritating problem: It won't.

I'm using the bootonly disc, just to see if I can get it to come up - if it won't just with this disc, then obviously I'm clueless, and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

It loads the kernel off the disc, and prints out, exactly:

FreeBSD/Alpha SRM CD9660 boot, revision 1.2
(<EMAIL ADDR>, Mon Feb 23 19:12:15 GMT 2004)
Memory: 393126k
/boot/kernel/kernel  data = 0x50a3c0+0x41b00  syms = [0x8+0x67350+0x8+0x51223]

booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Entering /boot/kernel/kernel at 0xfffffc00003430c0
Halted CPU 0

Halt code = 7
machine check while in PAL mode
PC = 18100

Tru-64 5.1a provides a similar reaction, bailing out just after it touches the onboard SCSI, with a "memory fault in kernel page mode" error.

I pulled all the cards except the TGA adaptor, all the SRM console detects is the onboard SCSI and the TGA.

The machine itself is running 5.6-114 firmware revision, according to SRM.. I can get the rest of the boot log, everything before it starts to load up FreeBSD, if that'll help.

-Jordan