Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:41:09 -0800
From:      Darren David <darren@thebomb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to grow partition size on RAID volume?

Hi all-

I need some help figuring out how to expand the existing partition on my
RAID volume to take advantage of a new disk I just added -- without
newfs'ing the volume and starting from scratch.

I added a 4th 750GB disk to my existing 1.5TB 3ware RAID5 volume, in an
attempt to bring my total capacity up to ~2.25TB (4x750GB RAID5). I
successfully used the 3ware 'tw-cli' utility to perform "Online Capacity
Expansion." The controller migrated the existing data across all 4
disks, and it now reports a total volume capacity of 2095.44GB.

Now, I'm not quite sure how to get FreeBSD to recognize the extra space.
I know that in order to use growfs, I first have to use disklabel to
increase the partition size. However, disklabel doesn't like this big
RAID volume:

   # disklabel /dev/da0
   disklabel: disks with more than 2^32-1 sectors are not supported

and the existing partition doesn't seem to have a label:

   # disklabel /dev/da0s1
   disklabel: /dev/da0s1: no valid label found

I'm unsure how to proceed here. CAn anyone shed some light as to how I
might proceed?

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Darren David