Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2012 00:21:32 -0700
From:      Matthew Navarre <navarre.matthew@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting raw disk backup file.

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Matthew Navarre <
> navarre.matthew@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Here's what file says about the file:
>> mnavarre@pcbsd-1810] /# file /mnt/ada1_backup
>> /mnt/ada1_backup: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0xa5, active, starthead
>> 1, startsector 63, 167766732 sectors; partition 2: ID=0xa5, starthead 254,
>> startsector 167766795, 144809910 sectors, code offset 0x3c, BSD disklabel
>>

> Why did you put it in /mnt?  That's customarily used for mounting
> fileystems.  Move it ;-)

Heh, the BSD drive with the backup file in on /mnt, the mdconfig node is
md1.

> mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /new-path/ada1_backup
>
> note the device that's created (probably md0)
>
> you can then operate on /dev/md0 as if it were a disk.  In particular, you
> might want to fix the partition map, the label info, etc.  You can then
> fsck the filesystem (presumably something like /dev/md0s1a or /dev/md0a
> etc).
>
> You'll probably need to tell fsck that it's ufs (i.e. fsck -t ufs
> /dev/md0a )
>
> you can then mount the fs (mount -t ufs /dev/md0a /mnt )

Thanks, didn't realize that I could use that device node to operate on it
like a block device. Of course, the fact that mdconfig makes the system
think a file is a block device should have been a clue ;)

Now I just need to get the partitions and disklabel figured out.

> - M

OK,
MCN