Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:11:24 -0400
From:      "Scott Ullrich" <sullrich@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Userland freezes during heavy packet forwarding workloads

Hello!

We (pfSense developers) have noticed an interesting problem where
userland stops functioning under high packet forwarding workloads.
Userland applications such as sshd and lighttpd freeze but userland
resumes after the network load eases.

We tested with both PF enabled and disabled and the problem remains in
either case so chances are that its not a firewalling / pfil issue.

Machines tested so far:

PC Engines WRAP 266 mhz, 3 sis nics
Soekris Engineering 4801 266 mhz, 3 sis nics
AMD K6-2 450MHZ, 384 MB ram, 5 XL nics (3c905c)

FreeBSD versions tested and are affected:
 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE as of October 10th, 2006
 FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE as of October 10th, 2006

FreeBSD versions tested and are not affected:
 FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE

Kernel configuration file:
[http://cvs.pfsense.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/tools/builder_scripts/conf/pfSense_wrap.6?rev=1.36;content-type=text%2Fplain]

Copy of /etc/sysctl.conf in use:
[http://www.pfsense.com/~sullrich/logs/sysctl.conf]

Is there anything we can do to prevent userland from stopping
completely when under heavy load?  Is this a bug?

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this behavior in FreeBSD 4.X.

Thanks in advance!

Scott