Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 18:25:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BETA problems

> Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
>
> >> At the beginning of this weekend, I started installing the 0928
> >> beta.  Due to phone line quality issues out here, it took two days,
> >> and ended with me installing the necessary stuff plus the (then
> >> released) 1002 source, and then doing a make world.  (One suggestion:
> >> If an install fails due to a network failure, restart at the block
> >> instead of at the distribution.)
> > Owing to the way the blocks are compressed, you can't do this.  You
> > have to start at the beginning.
>
> I haven't studied this closely, but Gary said that it's because the
> entire segment is a single gzipped stream, and that doing so would
> cause a restart midstream.
>
> I just glanced over the zlib sources, and started wondering.  Would it
> be possible to copy the state of the decompression engine, in
> anticipation of failure?  How expensive would it be?

We don't have access to that state, because tar forks copy of gzip to
do its work.  If we were doing the decompression internally, I think it
would be reasonably straightforward.

> >> In the release notes, we say that the 3C509 is supported.
> >> Preliminary tests indicate that the ep0 driver in the 10/02 beta is
> >> in less of a functioning state than ever.  (Does anybody know how to
> >> get the blasted 3C509 programmers' specs?)
> > Write to 3com.
>
> Okay.  They haven't responded, so I was wondering.

You might want to ask Bill Paul (wpaul@freebsd.org) who he has spoken
to there; I know he didn't have too much trouble getting the '590 docs.