Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:21:50 +1100
From:      Michael Gratton <michael@quuxo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

--=-1G/Cj73XMZLnYNkT9kep

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 20:59 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Anders Nordby <anders@freebsd.org> wrote=
:
> >  conf.d (custom configuration)
> >  sites-available (virtualhost configuration)
> >  sites-enabled (symlinks for enabled virtualhosts)
> >  mods-available (available Apache modles)
> >  mods-enabled (symlinks for enabled Apache modules)
>=20
> Oh, gods, please, no!  That is one of the things I absolutely hate
> about Debian (and its derivatives).  There are some packages on Debian
> where they use separate text files for each configuration option
> (ProFTPd, for examples).  It is a huge mess of directories and files
> that makes it a *royal* PITA to edit at the CLI.

=EF=BB=BFActually, it makes two things really easy:

1. Automated installation of configuration required by other packages,
without them all munging and potentially breaking a single, central
config file. For example, you have Apache installed, and you want to
install PHP, the PHP port/package drops a file with the needed config
files into /etc/apache2/conf.d. No ad-hoc editing of httpd.conf
required, no loss of the work you did to customise it in the first
place.

2. As someone else pointed out, managing large numbers of vhosts (which
is really just a special case of #1.

> Yes, a scheme like that is better for GUI tools, but it really makes
> things more difficult for non-GUI users/uses (like headless servers
> managed via SSH).

It has nothing to do with GUI tools.

> One of the things I *really* like about FreeBSD is that it has the
> "one config file per app/system" setup.

Until you install that one last port that breaks the config file you
spent hours tweaking.

/Mike

--=20
Michael Gratton <michael@quuxo.com>    =20