Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 1996 11:59:30 EDT
From:      elrond1@juno.com
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   LSI adm12+ serial Terminal

I inherited an ADM12+ serial terminal, and seem to be having some
difficulties getting it to run correctly on my 2.1.0-RELEASE system.  I
have enabled ttyd1 (com2) (as std.2400) and set tem type to "adm12" in
/etc/ttys.  What happens, is I get the Banner message and login prompt
displayed correctly, but when I type my username, characters get double
imaged on the terminal.  If I ignore this, and login as a user with no
password, it gets all the bay to a shell prompt.  At this point if I type
any command and press enter, the terminal hangs.  Nothing else displays
until I kill the process and getty prompts for login again.  Now if I
login to an account with a password the terminal hangs immediately after
pressing enter after the password.  After a few minutes, login reports
that it timed out, and I'm back to a login prompt.

My (uneducated) observations.
1:  I need to turn an "echo" setting off somewhere but I have no idea
where.
2:  getty recognizes the terminal, but as soon as any other process is
called, something goes sour.

Are these assumptions correct, and if so, how do I go about fixing this?

Also:  If anyone has any information on programing the Function keys on
the adm12 terminal, I'd like to know how.  Several of the keys have
usless (to me) text strings bound to them like "GO DOS", "GO LOGON",
etc...

Thanks!
Please respond via email, as I can't follow freebsd-questions due to
volume...

Stephen L. Palmer           | This space
elrond1@juno.com     - home | for rent.
uscgsynd@ibmmail.com - work |