Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:17:21 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        chat list <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 07:05:00PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com> types:
> > Never saw that one. Certainly this attitude persists today vis-a-vis
> > Microsoft. I get that attitude here in the startup company I work for
> > now (and I am one of the co-founders). If you use Windows and it breaks
> > its not your fault. On the other hand, demand to use FreeBSD and if it
> > fails you're in for it.
>
> I don't think that's an IBM/MS thing, I think it's standard for
> support folks. You can't support everything that anyone can drag in,
> so people who want to use tools you don't support have to do it
> themselves.

Yep.  I have to agree with this.

> > Well, to me anyway, coming from an IBM mainframe background, my first
> > IBM-PC with only 128KB of memory and two 160KB diskette drives seemed
> > pretty bleak. It wasn't till I could get a hard disk on it (probably in
> > the '85 time frame) that it seemed like a useful computer to me.
>
> My CP/M-80 box from that era - 256K of ram and a pair of 320K drives -
> did things the IBM mainframe I had access to couldn't do. Ditto for
> the Unix and the VMS system I was using then. Mostly, it was that my
> box was mine, so I could install all the tools I needed. The
> institutional systems weren't mine, so while the tools they had were
> better than I those I could afford, none of them had all the tools I
> needed. Things haven't really changed in that respect, it's just that
> my tools are now *much* better than they used to be.

Within a year of purchasing my first PC (in 1981) I had upgraded it to
more RAM and double sided diskette drives (I believe these were 360K
each by then).  This made using it much more convenient (reduced the
diskette swapping ritual).

As I remember, the main thing that I missed on my original PC was a full
screen editor.  I was familiar with the various full screen editors on
the mainframes (using 3270s) and it took some adjustment to get used to
edlin (which I despised).  Later, on the Microport AT system, I learned
vi (which took some time to do).  I have been using vi ever since.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox                 All men profess honesty as long as they can.
bob@vieo.com                To believe all men honest would be folly.