Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:20:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Joel Bjork <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>
To:        mike.jeays@statcan.ca
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FTP access to ports through a firewall

On 10-Jan-01 mike.jeays@statcan.ca wrote:
> Where do I find the code that fetches a distfile from a server on the
> Internet, please?  I presume this is done through FTP.
>
> We have an firewall that will not permit direct FTP connects, and I
> would like to see if I can modify this bit of code to work in our
> environment.  Maybe it is harder than I think...

The portscollection uses fetch to retrieve files, usually over FTP.
Assuming that your firewall allows passive ftp-transfers, fetch -P will
work. fetch will also look for the FTP_PASSIVE_MODE environment variable,
there's more on this in the manpage, it doesn't however tell you what to
set it to so you're in for some trial and error.

E-Mail: Joel Bjork <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>