Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 09:40:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wietse@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
To:        tbuswell@acadia.net (Ted Buswell)
Cc:        wietse@porcupine.org, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Data point: FreeBSD 4.0 + removable SCSI support

Ted Buswell:

> Wietse Venema writes:
>  > Without devices attached to the SlimSCSI 1460B, "camcontrol rescan 0"
>  > reports success.
>  >
>  > With random hardware connected to the SlimSCSI 1460B, "camcontrol
>  > rescan 0" reports success, and the kernel says:
>
> You didn't say it explicitly, I assume (from the message subject) that
> the limited success (with other targets or no targets attached) is
> with a 4.0 kernel?

Indeed, this is the same 4.0-20000518-STABLE kernel that "hangs"
with the Jaz 2GB drive plugged into the SlimSCSI 1460B controller.

> I did a quick check, and my understanding is that 3.4 is using the
> driver in /sys/i386/isa which is the same as the driver in 2.2, while
> 4.0 and on use the driver in /sys/dev/aic  ("old" works vs. "new" doesn't).

Unfortunately, I am not qualified to debug the aic driver. This
is better handled by someone who has studied that code before.

> So your original complaint about the aic driver in 4.0 is probably well
> founded: it sounds to me like the aic driver is not handling garbage
> from the Jaz device gracefully.

I expect the problem to show up with Jaz 2GB drives on other SCSI
controllers, too, and expect that it will eventually be fixed. So
there is hope that my primary enviroment will be supported again
by mainstream FreeBSD code, which is my preferred solution.

Meanwhile, I will migrate to 3.4+PAO so that I can do useful work.

	Wietse