Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:30:28 -0400
From:      "Christian S ." <cschreiber@netrail.net>
To:        Bud Roth <bud_roth@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Gary Nye <gary@consys.com>
Subject:   Re: hacked /etc/passwd and can't reboot

Look into booting in single-user mode, (As if you were rebuilding the kernel (boot -s from the boot menu)), and mount the drives in
read/write mode, and then "chfn root", or vipw should do it as well.. Good luck!

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:20:17PM -0700, Bud Roth babbled:
> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bud Roth <bud_roth@yahoo.com>
> Subject: hacked /etc/passwd and can't reboot
> To: questions@freebsd.org
>
> I wanted FreeBSD to boot into bash, not sh, so I
> changed the default shell for the two users on my
> system (bud and root) in the file /etc/passwd from
> /bin/sh to /bin/bash.  Stupid me.  Either bash is not
> in /bin or it just won't work.  The result is that I
> cannot log in.  How can I either reboot off of a
> floppy and edit passwd to take out the offensive "ba"
> or use the command prompt that FreeBSD temporarily
> gives me when booting up to do the same?
>
> Silly mistake on my part, I confess.  8-(
---end quoted text---

--
Christian Schreiber, Netrail Network Security Engineer
- Ape will not kill Ape