Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:52:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        des@ofug.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com, bright@wintelcom.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fortune candidate from #FreeBSD on EFNet

>     "Truly, O God of Israel, our Savior, you work in strange and
>      mysterious ways."  -- Isaiah 45:15

	this is just wrong.  the sentence comes from the middle of a
prophecy that will be / was fulfulled when Sennacherib and his army
were destroyed outside of Jerusalem.  Isiah is returning to the theme
of 43:1-4 etc

45:14	Thus said God: The toil of Egypt and the merchandise of Cush
and the Sabeans, men of stature, will pass to you and will become
yours; they will follow after you and pass in chains.  They will
prostrate themselves before you; they will pray before you: 'Only with
you [Jerusalem] is God, and there is none other, except for God'.

[yes the first verse really is that long]

45:15	'Indeed, You are a God Who conceals Himself, the God of Israel
is the Savior!'

	Where did you version come from?  Truly, the translator worked
in strange and mysterious ways!  Mine is from the original language
which I read, write and speak fluently.

>     "God's ways are as hard to discern as the pathways of the wind,
>      and as mysterious as a tiny baby being formed in a mother's
>      womb." -- Ecclesiastes 11:5

11:4	"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps
his eyes on the clouds will never reap."

11:5	"Just as you do not know the way of the wind, nor the bones
[nature of the embryo] in a pregnant stomach, so can you never know
the work of God who makes everything."

11:6	"In the morning sow your seed and in the evening be not idle,
for you can not know which will succeed--this or that--or whether both
are equally good."

	nonetheless, the others are fine for english epigrams....they
just aint Text.

jmb