Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:16:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Should we test cdboot on 4.5 RC's?

On 20-Dec-01 Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 03:46:14PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
>> Hmm, does anyone else think it might be worthwhile to MFC the new cdboot
>> replacement for the broken cdldr code in 4.x.  Then for the RC's we chould
>> ship
>> two versions of each ISO, one with cdboot as the bootable image and the
>> other
>> with boot.flp so we can have people test it and see how if cdboot works on
>> most
>> computers or not?  The only difference in the ISO's is what image is set as
>> bootable on the mkisofs command line, other than that the images would both
>> have the same exact file contents.  This might be a good way to test out how
>> widespread support of no emulation booting is so we can think about
>> switching
>> to it by default on the ISO's.
>
>   Hey John, can you explain to us what kind of machines this will fix?
> How many machines have you tested this on?  We should have Chern do
> some more testing of this stuff while we still have access to the WRS
> hardware.

There are some BIOSen that don't grok the 2.88 MB images, although they might
not support no emulation booting as well.  However, NT4 and later require no
emulation booting so this should work ok on most machines.  The biggest thing
this changes is that it makes the setup of CD booting cleaner.  It also allows
us to use a full GENERIC kernel during install, instead of having to trim
certain drivers from the mix so that the kernel fits on a floppy.  This means
that a CD install support more drivers out of the box.