Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:08:54 +0800
From:      Foxfair Hu <foxfair@drago.cert.org.tw>
To:        Joachim Strombergson <Joachim.Strombergson@emw.ericsson.se>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help: Getting second IDE handler to work on ABIT BP6 under SMP?

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:38:13 +0200
Joachim Strombergson <Joachim.Strombergson@emw.ericsson.se> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm not sure if this one should go to questions, stable or SMP, but
> since I'm actually is running SMP, I'll try here. If that's wrong,
> please enlighten me.
>
> I'm having a SMP system (3.3-RC) where the MB is the new ABIT BP6
> equipped with two Celeron 366 CPUs (running slightly faster though ;-)
> Also, I'm having two disks and a DVD/CD-player. I have placed the disks
> on the same bus IDE device (device 0) and the cd on device 1.

Correction :

  device 0 -> ata0, primary on hardware teminology.
  device 1 -> ata1, secondary on hardware teminology.

Did I get you wrong? :)

> FreeBSD have no problems detecting the two drives, but does not find the
> cd player. If the cd is used to replace the second HD, then FreeBSD will
> detect and identify the cd. I have compiled in two IDE device handlers
> into the kernel, but during boot, the kernel reports not finding
> anything on the second handler.

  I assume you use wd driver in 3.3-R.

  Make sure that you connect your DVD-ROM in Secondary/Master side, not
  Secondary/Slave. The later case is an usual WRONG configuration. If
  you can upgrade your box to -current, lemme see if ata driver can
  recognize your DVD-ROM.

  BTW, if you use ata driver, it is no need to include ata1/ata2 into
  your kernel config file. Just use the following setup:
=3d=3d=3d=3d
controller     ata0
device         atadisk0        # ATA disk drives
device         atapicd0        # ATAPI CDROM drives
device         atapifd0        # ATAPI floppy drives
=3d=3d=3d=3d

> I can return with more specific info, but would like to ask if anyone
> with BP6 if they have tried to use more than one device handler? Does it
> work? How?
> Any help greatly appreciated.

  dmesg is always helpful when you got something wrong.
> --
> Med v=e4nlig h=e4lsning, Yours
>
> Joachim Str=f6mbergson - Alltid i harmonisk sv=e4ngning
> ---------------- Ericsson Microwave Systems AB -----------------
> Joachim Str=f6mbergson            http://www.ericsson.se/microwave
>      ASIC System on Silicon engineer, nice to CUTE animals.
> * Opinions above, expressed or implicit, are strictly personal *
> ------------- Spamfodder: regeringen@regeringen.se -------------

Cheers,
-Foxfair.