Date:      08 Sep 2000 23:46:29 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports Options Paper

 * From: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>

 * Possibly, but with only a package name like libick and WITH_FOO
 * how does bsd.*.mk know what the name of the package is that has
 * WITH_FOO?  Among others it could be called libick-foo, libick_foo,
 * libick+foo, ...  Sure we could implement a set of guidelines that
 * specified how the package names should work, but we all know how
 * well that works.
 *
 * On the other hand if we could get the describe target to generate
 * more than one entry, then we'd have a solution that wouldn't
 * require changing the package building scripts and countless other
 * scripts/programs that are currently laying about.

This has been done before.  See the LOOP_VAR/LOOP_OPTIONS variables in
the CVS log of bsd.port.mk around November 1998.  There should be some
massages in the mailing list archives too.

Adding multiple entries in INDEX was not difficult.  Getting them to
build automatically is.  There are basically too many things that
assume that from one directory comes one package, the package building
script being one.

Another problem is dependency.  When you have a port with an option,
depending to another port with an option (where the two options are
not necessarily equal), it is going to be a mess if both ports have
only one directory.  It is much easier if this can be done by simply
saying

${PORTSDIR}/port1-withopt1a/Makefile:
  RUN_DEPENDS= someprog:${PORTSDIR}/port2-withopt2c

${PORTSDIR}/port1-withopt1b/Makefile:
  RUN_DEPENDS= someprog:${PORTSDIR}/port2-withopt2d

(where the -withopt* ports are slaves with appropriate options set).

As I said before, this is a solved problem.  Please show why MASTERDIR
is not appropriate if you want to continue this discussion.  ("It is a
hackish way" is not a valid reason. :)

Satoshi