Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 09:06:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        luigi@iet.unipi.it, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bt848 status, comments and diffs

> Hi,
>
> Tnks Luigi!
>
> Your mods look really good.
>
> How is vic with Van Jacobson's version of grabber-meteor.cc running
> over there?

Both the old one (planar ?) and the new one (packed ?) work well.
Two minor things with the new driver:

- I think it still uses continuous capture, not really single frame
  capture, despite the message from Van Jacobson said differently.

- the latest grabber-meteor.cc somehow truncates the left&right
  edges of the image when in PAL mode. It seems to grab at 288x352,
  and then possibly shrinks the image to 320 pixels. I have not
  investigated further on the problem though.

One more difficulty I had with video stuff in general is that NTSC is the
default everywhere, and at times in the form of hidden constants (e.g.
in bktr you bzero a 640x480 area somewhere), so occasionally there are
some mismatches, especially when applications start. In the driver,
perhaps it would be nice to have a "DEFAULT_SETTING" macro which can be
instantiated to either NTSC or PAL and do the right thing on
initialization and open.

I was even wondering if it was the case to have a sysctl variable
(kern.video.defaultformat) to specify this, since it affects all
grabbers.

> I will prepare patches against -current tomorrow. Got a little
> bug with yuv422 to chase over here.

I tried to post you in the past days but messages bouced back... the
latest version of my sources, with some additional (minor) cleanups wrt
the version you grabbed, is at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/bt848.tgz

Before working on the code yourself to fix yuv422 you might try to
get that one -- I will not make any more changes on that code.

I have added a couple of ioctls to get/set the luma lowpass filters,
which I needed for extracting teletext data.

> The plan is to post the patches tomorrow and Monday nite if all goes well
> submit the patches to -current and to linux .

while you are at it, and if it is not too much wourk, could you try to
write a minimal manpage and (perhaps) implement read() ?

This would make it possible to import the sources in the -stable
branch, which IMHO would be a good idea since we could have more
feedback, especially from people here in Europe.

I am running the code on a 2.2.1 system and have not experienced a
single hangup of the machine (the yuv_packed code did even work right
at the first shot, something which impressed me!)

	Cheers
	Luigi